Download the recorder checklist
Please check the following before sending in for recording:
- Document dated
- Document signed
- Acknowledgment needs: Date
Legible Notary Seal, Notary Signature, Notary Commission Expire Date
Names & marital status (Single or Husband and wife) of signatures being acknowledged
If Corporate acknowledgment (business name, who signs & their titles)
- Legal Description (Check to see if complete)
- Exhibits are attached
- "Drafted by:” Include name & address
- Filing fees (See website)
- White-out is unacceptable on any legal documents
Please present all appropriate documents Registered Land to ensure filing in the appropriate office per the following statute:
508.76 Subd. 2. Documents misfiled. The registrar may reasonably rely on the affirmative representation of the party presenting instruments for filing as to whether the land described in the instruments or any part of it is registered or unregistered. A party who requests that misfiled instruments be refiled with the registrar is responsible for paying any additional fees required to properly file any instrument misfiled because of an incorrect representation and, if applicable, to enter a new certificate of title.
- State Deed Tax included (Purchase price times .0033 = Deed Tax)
*Exception: Hennepin and Ramsey Counties (Purchase price times .0034 = Deed Tax)
- Completed Certificate of Real Estate Value
- "Send Tax Statements to:” Include name & address
- Are there delinquent taxes due?
- If split in tax parcel - all current taxes must be paid.
- If applicable, statement regarding "Total consideration for this transfer is $500 or less” (Enclose $1.65 Deed Tax)
*Exception: Hennepin and Ramsey Counties enclose $1.70 Deed Tax
- Completed Well Certificate and $50.00 fee OR one of the statements that apply:
"The Seller certifies that the seller does not know of any wells on the described real property.”
OR "I am familiar with the property described in this instrument and I certify that the status and the number of wells on
the described real property have not changed since the last previously filed well disclosure certificate.”
- Correction Documents (Need to have new signatures and new acknowledgement along with a Correction Statement.)
- Mortgage Registration Tax included (Mortgage amount times .0023 = Mtg. Reg. Tax)
*Exception: Hennepin and Ramsey Counties (Mortgage amount times .0024 = Mtg. Reg. Tax)
- Warranty Deed completing a Contract for Deed must have a well statement signed by the buyers OR a Well Certificate with the $50.00 fee.
- For transfer documents and Mortgages an Agricultural Conservation fee of $5.00 is due in the following counties: Anoka, Dakota, Ramsey, Wright, Carver, Hennepin, Scott, Washington, Waseca, Winona
Recommended and prepared by: Minnesota County Recorder’s Association
Minnesota Statutes 507.093
STANDARDS FOR DOCUMENTS TO BE RECORDED OR FILED (IN PART).
a) The following standards are imposed on documents to be recorded with the County Recorder or Registrar of Titles:
- The document shall consist of one or more individual sheets measuring no larger than 8.5 inches by 14 inches.
- The form of the document shall be printed, typewritten, or computer generated in black ink and the form of the document shall not be smaller than 8-point type.
- The document shall be on white paper of not less than 20-pound weight with no background color or images and, except for the first page, shall have a border of at least one-half inch on the top, bottom and each side.
- The first page of the document shall contain a blank space at the top measuring three inches, as measured from the top of the page, and a border of one-half inch on each side and the bottom. The right half of the blank space shall be reserved for recording information and the left half shall be reserved for tax certification. Any person may attach an administrative page before the first page of the document to accommodate this standard. The administrative page may contain the document title, document date, and, if applicable, the grantor and grantee, and shall be deemed part of the document when recorded.
- The title of the document shall be prominently displayed at the top of the first page below the blank space referred to in clause (4) or on the administrative page.
- No additional sheet shall be attached or affixed to a page that covers up any information or printed part of the form.
- A document presented for recording must be sufficiently legible to reproduce a readable copy using the County Recorder's or Registrar of Title's current method of reproduction.
Minnesota Statutes 508.82 REGISTRAR'S FEES
Subdivision 2 - Variance from standards. A document should conform to the standards in section 507.093, paragraph (a), but should not be rejected unless the document is not legible or cannot be archived. This subdivision applies only to documents dated after July 31, 1997, and does not apply to Minnesota uniform conveyancing blanks on file in the office of the commissioner of commerce provided for under section 507.09, certified copies, or any other form provided for under Minnesota Statutes.
Effective July 1, 2005.